Business License

Applying for Business Licenses

Churchill County Code requires a person, firm, corporation, or association that engages in any business, trade, calling, industry, occupation, or profession in the county to obtain the necessary licenses and permits.

Please contact our office prior to conducting business to verify that the proposed business is permitted in the zoning district in which the property is located.

For free assistance to start a small business, contact the Churchill Economic Development Authority (CEDA) at (775)423-8587 to make an appointment. 

Before Filing An Application

Please consider the following:

  • Property location (Where is your office?):
    • If your office will be in the city limits of Fallon, you will need a City license first. Go to 55 W. Williams Avenue or call the City Clerk at (775) 423-5104.
    • If your office is located outside Churchill County, you must first be properly licensed in that jurisdiction.
    • If your office will be located in Churchill County, your property must be zoned correctly for the proposed use. Contact the Public Works, Planning & Zoning Department for zoning and use questions.
    • Home-based (residential zoning) businesses in the county require a Usage Permit. Please contact the Public Works, Planning & Zoning Department to discuss which Use Permit will be needed.
  • Register with the state on SilverFlume (please contact CEDA at the number above for assistance) and comply with all state requirements (PDF) as well as local regulations related to your type of operation. Proof of compliance will be required (i.e., health permit, pest control permit, contractor’s license, workers compensation insurance, etc.).
  • Contact the Building Department at (775)428-0264 and the Fire Marshal at (775)423-0665 to discuss permitting and inspections.
  • If a liquor license (PDF), peddler’s permit (PDF), or a work card (PDF) for locksmith and safe mechanic businesses (PDF) is required, please apply with the Sheriff’s Department after you have obtained your county business license. Please allow at least three weeks for these licenses.
  • Roadside Vendors please contact the Public Works, Planning & Zoning Department regarding restrictions and licensing. All vendors must sign an affidavit (PDF), set up on commercial property, and have permission from property/business owner. Vendors are NOT allowed in the roadways and easements.

 Please contact our office if you have any questions.