Preparation of the County's annual budget begins in December of each year and ends in June of the following year. This seven-month process is detailed below:
- December – Budget requests are prepared by the departments.
- January – Department budget requests are submitted to the Comptroller's Office.
- February – Board of County Commissioners hold public hearings on Departmental Budget Requests.
- March – Final revenue estimates are provided by the State Department of Taxation.
- April – Tentative Budget is completed and filed with the State Department of Taxation and the County Clerk.
- May – Public hearing is conducted for Tentative Budget and Board adopts a final Budget.
- June – Final Budget is filed with the State Department of Taxation and the County Clerk.
- July – Amended Final Budget submitted (if necessary) in a legislative year only.